Best Flat Iron for Curling: Complete Reviews with Comparisons
What could be better than having a multipurpose hair styling tool? Instead of having to buy a curling iron and a flat iron, why not try using the best flat iron for curling?
With the best flat iron, you’ll be able to create many different types of curls. In fact, plenty of professional stylists use a straightener for curling.
The following five flat irons are a fantastic option for anyone who styles their hair.
Best Flat Iron for Curling Reviews
1. HSI Professional Ceramic-Tourmaline Flat Iron
The first thing we noticed about the HSI Professional Ceramic-Tourmaline Flat Iron is its pretty packaging. You’ll also appreciate the overall look of the flat iron, as it looks professional. It’s designed to perform quite well, especially when compared to other straighteners.
The key features of the HSI Professional Ceramic-Tourmaline Flat Iron include:
- Ceramic and tourmaline: With the combination of tourmaline and ceramic, you get the best of both worlds. These two materials create a less frizzy and healthier style with every use.
- Infrared heat technology: To make sure the heat is distributed evenly along the plates, the infrared heat technology is useful. It also heats your hair in a healthier manner than with other materials, preserving more moisture.
- One-inch plates: The ceramic-tourmaline plates are an inch in thickness, which is ideal for fine and coarse hair. You’ll also appreciate the number of hair that you can curl and straighten at one time.
- Convenient power cord: Not only does the power cord swivel 360 degrees, but it’s also six feet in length. This means you will no longer accidentally disconnect your power cord.
2. KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron
The KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron is another great flat iron that works with all hair types. It has a less professional aesthetic but is still modern and sleek. Though it doesn’t come with many accessories, it does have a traveling bag.
The key features of the KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron include:
- Nano titanium plates: If you’re looking for a straightener that heats up very quickly, this is it. With its titanium plates, this flat iron will curl your hair very quickly. However, you will have to use it on lower heat settings to avoid burning your hair.
- Adjustable temperature: There are plenty of temperature settings that range from 170°F to 450°F. You can use the buttons and digital LCD to change the temperature as needed. There are also recommendations for heat settings based on the type and quality of your hair.
- 3D floating plates: Built to have no gaps, the plates on the straightener limit pinching and pulling. This also makes it simpler to curl your hair, as it won’t get caught. This is something that most straighteners lack, as most plates don’t close properly without added pressure.
- Built-in safety lock: As an added safety feature, the KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron also has a safety lock. When stored or on your counter, you can engage the lock so that children can’t access it.
3. Remington Anti-Static Flat Iron
Remington is one of the more popular beauty brands to find in department stores. The Remington Anti-Static Flat Iron is useful for not only curling your hair but straightening it too. With anti-static technology and advanced digital controls, it’s effortless to use.
The key features of the Remington Anti-Static Flat Iron include:
- Anti-static technology: The largest selling point of this flat iron is its anti-static technology. It is supposed to make your hair 50% less static after use.
- Ceramic plates: To protect the integrity of your hair and to retain moisture, ceramic plates are great. They also help to limit the amount of frizz. With the combination of the anti-static technology and ceramic plates, you’ll have the sleekest and shiniest style possible.
- Titanium coating: For more protection and even heating, the ceramic plates are coated in titanium. Titanium is also known for its heat retention, so you will have to use a heat protectant. It’s also recommended to use nourishing oil after curling and straightening.
- High heat settings: This flat iron heats up to 410°F, which is more than hot enough for most hair types. It might not be as hot as other irons, but it also limits the damage you do to your hair.
- Auto shut off: As a great safety feature, the Remington Anti-Static Flat Iron will automatically shut off after 60 minutes.
4. Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron
One brand name that you are sure to see when researching flat irons is Chi. The Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron is the most expensive flat irons on this list, but it also is one of the top performing flat irons on this list.
The key features of the Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron include:
- Titanium infused ceramic plates: The plates on the flat iron are constructed using mostly ceramic. There is also titanium infused into the ceramic to add durability to the straightener. You’ll find that you’ll experience the benefits of titanium plates with the smoothness of ceramic plates.
- Digital temperature readings: You’ll no longer have to worry about using a dial to adjust the temperature of your flat iron. The digital temperature readings and controls are easy to use.
- Fully adjustable temperature: To have full control over the heat of your flat iron, the Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron has fully adjustable temperatures. You can set temperatures up to 425°F.
- Sub-minute heating: The advanced technology inside of the flat iron allows it to heat up in under one minute.
- Preset settings: Depending on the type of hair you have, you can access one of the presets. These preset settings automatically set the iron to the right temperature for your hair type. Blue is for fine and fragile hair (0°F to 370°F), green is for wavy hair (375°F to 395°F), and red is for coarse hair (400°F to 425°F).
5. Revlon Perfect Straight Flat Iron
On the same level as the Remington model, the Revlon Perfect Straight Flat Iron can be found at department stores. With similar features to other straighteners on this list, it’s also useful for curling.
The key features of the Revlon Perfect Straight Flat Iron include:
- Ionic tourmaline-ceramic plates: With the combined tourmaline and ceramic ionic plates, you’ll notice shinier hair after straightening and curling.
- High heat settings: With the ability to set the flat iron up to 400°F, you can achieve salon quality styles.
- Variable heat settings: There are ten different heat settings that you can choose from. Similar to the Chi model, this Revlon flat iron has color-coded controls.
- Rounded plate edges: To help create the most luxurious curls possible, the plate edges are entirely rounded and seamless.
- Auto-shut off: For added protection, this flat iron comes with an automatic shut off. It also features an ergonomic design for comfort.
There are many reasons as to why we found the Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron to be the best flat iron for curling. First, it has better longevity than the other irons on this list. You won’t have to worry about ceramic plates falling out or poor straightening.
When it comes to curling, the titanium infused ceramic gets very warm. The curls you produce with the Chi iron will last all day, even through humidity. Another feature that we found to be quite useful is the control placement. It’s much different than others that have temperature and power controls on the handle.
The Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron places the controls inside of the handle. Thus, you won’t accidentally adjust temperatures or turn the flat iron off simply by curling your hair.
However, there are a couple of disadvantages to this flat iron as well. Not only is it the most expensive one on this list, but its plates are also poorly spaced.
If you have thin hair, you may have to hold the straightener closed to get optimal results. We also found that the length of the cord was difficult to work with when in a regular bathroom.
At the end of the day, the Chi G2 Hairstyling Iron is a professional-grade flat iron that creates seamless curls with ease. Though it might be a little more expensive than you thought, it’s well worth the investment.